Saturday, February 11, 2012

About DTS Import Wizard

I use the DTS Import Wizard to copy one database to another. I notice that
it does the importing of tables and data alphabetically.
This causes some problems for me because I need some tables to be copied in
certain order due to the relationships and constraints.
Is there a way for me to use DTS Import but in the table order that I
define?
Thank you.Bob,
If the Copy SQL Server Objects task doesn't tranfer the tables in the order
required then try:
1. Create a DTS package and transfer the tables in the order required -
using presidence.
2. ALTER TABLE disable or drop the constraints prior to transfer then
recreate once the transfer is complete. The constraints can be scripted via
EM. Note: This approach requires that none of the data be modified on the
source or destination until the constraints have been reenabled or recreated
or the data may get out-of-synch and the creation of the constraints may
fail.
HTH
Jerry
"Bob" <spamfree@.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:uE%23Lkc50FHA.2076@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I use the DTS Import Wizard to copy one database to another. I notice that
> it does the importing of tables and data alphabetically.
> This causes some problems for me because I need some tables to be copied
> in
> certain order due to the relationships and constraints.
> Is there a way for me to use DTS Import but in the table order that I
> define?
> Thank you.
>|||Thanks Jerry.
I think the DTS package is what I need. Can you go through how I go about
creating a DTS package?
"Jerry Spivey" <jspivey@.vestas-awt.com> wrote in message
news:eyBIbx50FHA.1040@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Bob,
> If the Copy SQL Server Objects task doesn't tranfer the tables in the
order
> required then try:
> 1. Create a DTS package and transfer the tables in the order required -
> using presidence.
> 2. ALTER TABLE disable or drop the constraints prior to transfer then
> recreate once the transfer is complete. The constraints can be scripted
via
> EM. Note: This approach requires that none of the data be modified on
the
> source or destination until the constraints have been reenabled or
recreated
> or the data may get out-of-synch and the creation of the constraints may
> fail.
> HTH
> Jerry
> "Bob" <spamfree@.nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:uE%23Lkc50FHA.2076@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
that
>

No comments:

Post a Comment