Friday, February 24, 2012

About SQL Server

Hi,

Need some help regarding the SQL Server 2005 installation on Windows server 2005.

I have installed the SQL server 2005 on Windods 2003 server.

I have a database of 20 GB. Two of my db tables have about 4 millions of records.

My Sql server has Ram of 2 GB. But As soon as some 10 users fire the queries, SQL server get jammed.It reach the aloocated limit of Max memory.There after It takes too much time to respond.

Can any one suggest me the best configuration parameters for SQL server and for windows server 2003(like virtual memory and paging files etc).

Thanks & Rgds

Vyankatesh

Hi,

I would first check the query plans you are using.
Have you properly indexed your tables? SQL Server takes up memory but that is actually a good thing. If you are having memory pressure you might consider adding more memory to the server but the usage can greatly be reduced by using proper tuned queries.

HTH

|||

#1 -

You could try using -g at startup, to increase resources IF this is from too many databases being open

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316749/

#2 -

Try trouble shooting with 'DBCC MEMUSAGE' from query analyzer.

#3 -

Look into sp_configure to see if you can make sure your DB is using all 2 GB. I am not sure if SQL 2005 uses 2 GB by default. I can't recall which version uses 1 GB to start. If this is express, it may be capped. I know MSDE 2000 is not capped to 2 GB as to maximum memory.

BY the way, how much did 2005 cost ya ? 10 users ? Bringing it down ?

You have indexes I should hope. Are these users performing update/delete transactions ? Avoid Clustered indexes if you have users performing a lot of updates. Too many unknowns to approach this with a spearheaded plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment