Saturday, February 11, 2012

About database maintenance

Hi Guys,
I have a question regarding database maintenance. I am new dba in a
development team. I don't know what else I need to do except data backup. Do
I need to do rebuild index and update statistic every night? What else do I
neet to do for the database maintenance? Thanks.Without knowing your environment, the most common plans I see are:
Full backup every day
Transaction log backup throughout the day (hourly, 5 minutes, etc.)
Rebuild Indexes weekly
Integrity Check weekly
The maintenance plan wizard can help you set all this up (SQL 2000)
--
Kevin Hill
3NF Consulting
http://www.3nf-inc.com/NewsGroups.htm
Real-world stuff I run across with SQL Server:
http://kevin3nf.blogspot.com
"Iter" <Iter@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:62D0C100-0CD4-484E-BE8B-A678D6CAAC84@.microsoft.com...
> Hi Guys,
> I have a question regarding database maintenance. I am new dba in a
> development team. I don't know what else I need to do except data backup.
> Do
> I need to do rebuild index and update statistic every night? What else do
> I
> neet to do for the database maintenance? Thanks.|||Thanks you very much. I am development environment. I have a big database for
testing, which I got from production database. Do I need to update statistics
every night? Is it enought for me to do the iindex rebuild weekly? what tool
can I use for Integrity Check? dbcc checkdb? thanks.
"Kevin3NF" wrote:
> Without knowing your environment, the most common plans I see are:
> Full backup every day
> Transaction log backup throughout the day (hourly, 5 minutes, etc.)
> Rebuild Indexes weekly
> Integrity Check weekly
> The maintenance plan wizard can help you set all this up (SQL 2000)
> --
> Kevin Hill
> 3NF Consulting
> http://www.3nf-inc.com/NewsGroups.htm
> Real-world stuff I run across with SQL Server:
> http://kevin3nf.blogspot.com
>
> "Iter" <Iter@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:62D0C100-0CD4-484E-BE8B-A678D6CAAC84@.microsoft.com...
> > Hi Guys,
> > I have a question regarding database maintenance. I am new dba in a
> > development team. I don't know what else I need to do except data backup.
> > Do
> > I need to do rebuild index and update statistic every night? What else do
> > I
> > neet to do for the database maintenance? Thanks.
>
>|||> Do I need to update statistics
> every night?
Rebuilding indexes will also update statistics on the indexes. Also, the database option "auto
update statistics" will keep the statistics reasonably updates (in most cases).
> Is it enought for me to do the iindex rebuild weekly?
It depends on how fragmented the indexes becomes over the week and how much you suffer from that
fragmentation. See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/ss2kidbp.mspx
> what tool
> can I use for Integrity Check? dbcc checkdb?
DBCC CHECKDB and on versions prior top 2005 DBCC CHECKCATALOG. I prefer to check as often as I can.
I definitely want to have an unbroken chain of log backups over the time since last db backup and
the check.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
"Iter" <Iter@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0CB81AC8-3C62-43CB-90D2-E2BB4671733F@.microsoft.com...
> Thanks you very much. I am development environment. I have a big database for
> testing, which I got from production database. Do I need to update statistics
> every night? Is it enought for me to do the iindex rebuild weekly? what tool
> can I use for Integrity Check? dbcc checkdb? thanks.
>
> "Kevin3NF" wrote:
>> Without knowing your environment, the most common plans I see are:
>> Full backup every day
>> Transaction log backup throughout the day (hourly, 5 minutes, etc.)
>> Rebuild Indexes weekly
>> Integrity Check weekly
>> The maintenance plan wizard can help you set all this up (SQL 2000)
>> --
>> Kevin Hill
>> 3NF Consulting
>> http://www.3nf-inc.com/NewsGroups.htm
>> Real-world stuff I run across with SQL Server:
>> http://kevin3nf.blogspot.com
>>
>> "Iter" <Iter@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:62D0C100-0CD4-484E-BE8B-A678D6CAAC84@.microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Guys,
>> > I have a question regarding database maintenance. I am new dba in a
>> > development team. I don't know what else I need to do except data backup.
>> > Do
>> > I need to do rebuild index and update statistic every night? What else do
>> > I
>> > neet to do for the database maintenance? Thanks.
>>

No comments:

Post a Comment