Saturday, February 11, 2012

About db reindex

I just read an artice about database reindex published by microsoft
corporation, which states that the performance after doing db reindex is not
better than before defragment in OLTP system. In DSS system, it is faster
than before defragment. I got confused by this article. Do I need to do the
db reindex or defragment in OLTP system? Thanks.
To add on to Gert-Jan's response, defragmenting indexes can improve buffer
efficiency and reduce I/O increasing data density. I have seen noticeable
OLTP performance improvement by reorging clustered indexes.
Hope this helps.
Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP
"Iter" <Iter@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6CD68521-EE02-4578-97C2-C2926B3D869F@.microsoft.com...
>I just read an artice about database reindex published by microsoft
> corporation, which states that the performance after doing db reindex is
> not
> better than before defragment in OLTP system. In DSS system, it is faster
> than before defragment. I got confused by this article. Do I need to do
> the
> db reindex or defragment in OLTP system? Thanks.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment