Thursday, March 29, 2012

Access Denied txt file on other server

Hi and Help!!
I'm using Bulk Insert to read a text file that is on a different server. I
get an access denied message.
- If I change the name to a non-existant file,
I get an error that it can't find that file, so it can see it.
- I can successfully read a copy that I stored on the SQL server server.
I pretty much have whatever rights I need, personally, but I'm guessing I
need to set something up elsewhere.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
ArtTry checking the account that the server is running as, for example if
LocalSystem is being used, it may not have the permissions to access the
file. I always use a service account and grant permissions to a specific
folder on the server to pass to.
"Art" wrote:

> Hi and Help!!
> I'm using Bulk Insert to read a text file that is on a different server.
I
> get an access denied message.
> - If I change the name to a non-existant file,
> I get an error that it can't find that file, so it can see it.
> - I can successfully read a copy that I stored on the SQL server server.
> I pretty much have whatever rights I need, personally, but I'm guessing I
> need to set something up elsewhere.
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Art|||Josh,
Thanks for the suggestion -- I won't be able to try it until Tuesday.
Unfortunatly I still don't know much about how to use SQL Server. I've
learned enough SQL and enough about Stored Procedures, but I don't actually
know too much about the system itself. I guess that's something that I had
better change.
Any suggestions on a good book? I'm currently using 2000, but in a few
months will upgrade to 2005.
Thanks again,
Art
"Josh Crosby" wrote:
> Try checking the account that the server is running as, for example if
> LocalSystem is being used, it may not have the permissions to access the
> file. I always use a service account and grant permissions to a specific
> folder on the server to pass to.
> "Art" wrote:
>|||sure, great book on SQL 2005 written by Michael Otey i'm writing a review
for, here's the info.
SQL Server 2005: Developer's Guide
ISBN: 0-07-226099-8
--
Josh Crosby
"Art" wrote:
> Josh,
> Thanks for the suggestion -- I won't be able to try it until Tuesday.
> Unfortunatly I still don't know much about how to use SQL Server. I've
> learned enough SQL and enough about Stored Procedures, but I don't actuall
y
> know too much about the system itself. I guess that's something that I ha
d
> better change.
> Any suggestions on a good book? I'm currently using 2000, but in a few
> months will upgrade to 2005.
> Thanks again,
> Art
> "Josh Crosby" wrote:
>

No comments:

Post a Comment